Tuesday 21 February 2012

Brown, green, stripes

browngreenstripes1

browngreenstripes2

browngreenstripes3

Brown car coat: Dorothy Perkins, Breton top: Zara, Green shorts: Miss Selfridge, Grey brogues: River Island, Black bowler hat: H&M, Belt: New Look, Necklaces: Topshop, This Charming Girl and vintage.

This is what I wore a couple of days ago to wander around town with my Mum, drinking a lot of coffee and planning elaborate crafting plans. We tend to do this a lot. Whole business plans are drawn up over skinny lattes: she'll set up an Etsy store selling purses made from vintage silk scarves, I'll start screenprinting posters to sell at print fairs, she'll make jewellery and start on the craft fair circuit, I'll start my own zine... but by the time the coffee is gone we've generally moved onto some other idea. That's the problem with being a bit lazy and easily distracted a creative person with lots of ideas.

Later I made some red velvet cupcakes and went to see The Muppets movie with my best friend - I gave it three stars, he got weirded out because the kid in front of us kept turning around and staring at him. Which I guess would be kind of off putting while you're trying to watch a film. Even without a small child staring me out, I wasn't entirely convinced by the film. I liked a lot of the self referential meta stuff ("Wow, that was such an expensive looking explosion! I can't believe we had that in the budget.") but some of the cheesy dance numbers... I just don't remember the original films being quite so embarrassing.

I love this coat more each time I wear it - now it's getting a little bit warmer, the three quarter sleeves aren't as impractical and I really love the fact that it gives every outfit a bit of a 60s feeling. When my friend was driving us to the cinema, I noticed he was still wearing his leather gloves. Despite his protests that he was only wearing them because he was "cold", I'm convinced they're actually his driving gloves and with me wearing a car coat in the passenger seat, we were just like a couple in the 50s. He told me to be quiet and turned the radio up.

One more thing - I've only just realised that I can reply to comments on my posts! I can't believe I hadn't realised before! So I just want to say that I promise, I wasn't being rude - I was just being a bit thick. To help make up for it, enjoy my awkward face when our neighbour walked past mid photograph:

browngreenstripes4

18 comments:

  1. I love this outfit so much! It is the exact kind of thing I want to wear all the time. You look amazing! Also YUMMM I want to make red velvet cuppycakes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And the cakes were pretty amazing, if I do say so myself (and I'm allowed to because it's rare that my forays into baking end well).

      Delete
  2. Love your outfit :)
    Claudia xxx
    www.claudiakitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look so cute ^^

    Love the color and shape of that jacket ^^

    xxx
    kissmequick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And me too! I found it on sale with about 70% off. The woman in the store said they were having trouble selling them, can't understand why!

      Delete
  4. I always love your outfits! great combination of colors

    www.fashionisintheb.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the best friend. We made such a good 50's couple, especially when accompanied with tastefully chosen driving music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide whether I think it's cute or creepy that you actually read this. But thanks anyway.

      PS - not entirely sure that you could call The Clash "tasteful".

      Delete
  6. This is lovely! I love your breton tee with the camel coat.

    Catherine, XO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha great face in the last photo, I so know that feeling when someone walks by and you are just like "yeah... hello i'm just here getting my picture taken...so yeah ...see ya "

    that coat is lovely! i wish a had a coat like that! I really love this outfits color combination as well :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the awkwardness gets worse when they stop to discuss whether the trees in the garden should be pruned... meanwhile I'm stood there holding position haha. And thanks!

      Delete
  8. I'm really loving those shorts! Great outfit choice!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your traditional UK's outfit, it's sooo perfect honey =);)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, I'm so happy to see another bowler hat lover! <3 your coat is gorgeous too!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look amazing! Love your green shorts! :)

    ReplyDelete